Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home3/natsuki7/public_html/disgaea/header.php on line 208

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home3/natsuki7/public_html/disgaea/header.php on line 221
Disgaea Forums - Powered by XMB Disgaea Forums
Go To Bottom
Last active: Never

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Chatroom Suggestion
Mao Male
Average
Demon

Mood: Jammin with music

Level: 18
Activity: 5 / 440
Participation: 133 / 10653
Experience: 61%

[*] posted on 14-8-2009 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
Chatroom Suggestion

Well I thought possibly a chatroom would boost the activity of the forums.

My apologies in advance for long post.

From my site the Bakugan Battle World (BBW) we have a chatroom which has our members there daily. What I like about this is, it is free to use, This chat service supports web cam and voice chat with every1 in the room, u can do both voice and text chat at the same time. The room will have a host which will be usually the first person in the room. You can have more than one host by the room host choosing to make a member a room operator (another room host)

The downside though is there is no word filter for text chatting, nor can u delete anything that may insult or offend others in the room.

Other good features are the option to mute mics when voice chatting soothers don't have to hear you if they choose not to, when web camming room chatters can choose to close the window completely thus shutting u off on that person's screen which will also mute that person's voice. Members can also choose to ignore others which will make anything invisible to the person who chose to ignore some1 else.

The room starter (first host) also can choose t make the room visible on the chat services main page under the active rooms list, and can also choose to lock all mics and web cams from use, then only allow certain people to use the voice and web chats.

Etna if U wish to check this out, u can visit mine for your observation.

www.tinychat.com/bakuganbattleworld
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Mao's Aim
Etna Female
Galaxy Beauty Pirate
Demon

Mood: Win or Lose! Stand up for your beliefs.

Level: 53
Activity: 146 / 1311
Participation: 1845 / 51935
Experience: 44%

[*] posted on 14-8-2009 at 04:15 AM Reply With Quote

Eh,we've had a chat room or shoutbox as a suggestion..think even someone wanted to do an IRC channel[or Im thinking of another forum,Ive been to alot in the past].

But the main reason still remains:Not enough active members.

So basically,I would be setting up a chat room for like..what? Less than 10 people?

http://devil-heart.net/bs-s/bss-3.jpg

"Tell me,who's the baddest of the bad?
The maddest of the mad? The killer of kings and destroyer of worlds?"http://etna.akai-tsuki.net/001flg.gifThank you Revel <3

http://etna.akai-tsuki.net/enmygi0901.png http://etna.akai-tsuki.net/ven-1.png
Taro
Battle Freak
Demon

Mood: Fah

Level: 25
Activity: 12 / 613
Participation: 268 / 19624
Experience: 54%

[*] posted on 14-8-2009 at 04:29 AM Reply With Quote

dude, but we're SO awesome.
and we SO deserve it.
^ ^
llllllllllll
jk

If that is something that can be stopped, then just try and stop it.
Mao Male
Average
Demon

[*] posted on 14-8-2009 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote

Yea I know what u mean Etna. It's kinda like on my site which has about the same amount of activity, I just thought with a chat room for real time chatting about anything u want would help draw in some new activity and maybe perhaps boost current activity.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Mao's Aim
Kiruka Other
Trainee
Demon

Mood: Apathetic

Level: 8
Activity: 0 / 194
Participation: 32 / 4620
Experience: 78%

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote

I'd also like to support this chatroom idea; IRC would be a good place. Waaaaaaaay back when I had a regular sprite comic, I had a channel for it as well. There was only about 150 members total on the forum, less than 20 of which were active regularly, but it was still worth it. Forums and chat rooms attract different types of people (for example, Desuchan has its main site and an IRC channel, and I know some people that only talk on one of the two), so it's a good way to extend one's influence with little extra effort.

If there aren't enough (willing) staff to handle an IRC channel as well as the forum, just pick some peons that you think would be up to it. It's easy to OP or deOP people as needed, so there's little actual risk involved with that. Bots are also a possibility, for putting a stop to people who are flooding, etc.

My sprite thread: http://disgaea.akai-tsuki.net/viewthread.php?tid=2823

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7334/susumubanner.png

Don't forgot to get mIRC for yourself and come visit #Disgaea on IRCHighway! Click here if you need help. For those who don't quite get it, it's a chat room for this forum. >.>
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Mao Male
Average
Demon

[*] posted on 6-12-2009 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote

yay me. etna your being out voted lol
Etna Female
Galaxy Beauty Pirate
Demon

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote

Uh-huh,sure you think that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiruka

If there aren't enough (willing) staff to handle an IRC channel as well as the forum, just pick some peons that you think would be up to it. It's easy to OP or deOP people as needed, so there's little actual risk involved with that. Bots are also a possibility, for putting a stop to people who are flooding, etc.

You do realize that Laharl and I are pretty much against it,even when this topic was made with Groove around,he didnt approve of it either.So basicaly the entire Disgaea forum staff,which is just us three,dont really see any interest in this suggestion.Basically,I dont care how many people vote for it;It's not going to happen.

If you want to make a seperate chat or irc channel yourself for the Disgaea members to go,that is Fine by me.I,nor the mods have the Free Time,to sit it in a chat room and watch what goes on.

Overall,this proposal has been DENIED.

The maddest of the mad? The killer of kings and destroyer of worlds?"http://etna.akai-tsuki.net/001flg.gifThank you Revel <3

Kiruka Other
Trainee
Demon

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote

I knew that it wouldn't come down to voting, and I did indeed consider the possibility of handling it personally. I have some important matters to attend to IRL (like finding a new job), but I do think I'll be able to take care of this myself despite that. If/when I create the channel, I'll post the relevant information in this thread.

Don't forgot to get mIRC for yourself and come visit #Disgaea on IRCHighway! Click here if you need help. For those who don't quite get it, it's a chat room for this forum. >.>
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Mao Male
Average
Demon

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote

Kiruka if u want to do this in your free time, since this ks my idea I'll be happy to help.

Now then Etna, allow me to speak freely in response to your post.
There's no need for arguements here, but I going state my thoughts based on your post, its your choice to get pissed off or be civil.

"Basically,I dont care how many people vote for it;It's not going to happen."
I detect a bit of unfairness here. Why can't we vote on it? If were voting we'd be tied 3-3, this would become interesting I think. U already denied this topic & your word is law, but I think this could've been handled a bit more fair.

"If you want to make a seperate chat or irc channel yourself for the Disgaea members to go,that is Fine by me"

So, your saying us members can have our own chatroom & whatnot, but then u say denied? Do u mean that u don't want this to the forums offiical chat? That was never my intentions of this suggestion.
Kiruka Other
Trainee
Demon

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote

Note: this will be a LONG post. My apologies in advance if this is better suited to its own thread, and my thanks in advance if it is correctly moved or fine as it is.

I've gone ahead and set up the channel. Since it's in its infant stages, it doesn't have a lot of individuality yet, but I have plans to have extra features like Disgaea-based calculators and whatnot added, assuming I can get the right expertise or the right help in the matter.

For existing mIRC users: the server is irc.irchighway.net, port 6667, no password. The channel name is #Disgaea. You can skip down to Rules of the Chat now.

---------------------------------------------

For those new to mIRC (this guide is designed for extreme newbies):

1. Download mIRC from this web site: http://www.mirc.com/get.html
2. Install mIRC, and run it afterward.
3. It will ask you if you want to register; this is not a requirement even after the trial period is up, although the creator would love to have your money. Just hit continue once the button becomes clickable (it will take a few seconds to allow itself to be clicked every time you run the program, after the trial period of 30 days is up)
4. You'll get a pop up window with some fields in it. You can put whatever you want in the "Full Name" field, but make sure that you put an actual e-mail address in the "Email Address" field. Your "Nickname" is the name that will show when you chat, and "Alternative" is an optional field for in case the name you wanted is taken.
5. After filling those fields out, click on "Servers" on the list on the left and then click the "Add" button. "Description" should be IRCHighway. "IRC Server" should be irc.irchighway.net. The "Ports" field should already say 6667, but if not, enter it. Group and Password can be left blank. Then, click the "Add" button on this window.
6. You should now have IRCHighway in the list of IRC Servers. Click on it to highlight it if it isn't already highlighted, then click the "Select" button. You'll then be brought back to the "Connect" screen.
7. Click "Connect". A whole lot of text will appear on your screen, most of which can be ignored. I do advise giving the rules on http://www.irchighway.net/ a read-over, although they're pretty standard for the most part.
7a. SKIP THIS STEP IF THE FOLLOWING DID NOT APPEAR:
"-NickServ- This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise, please choose a different nick. If you do not change within one minute, I will change your nick."
You'll have to choose a different nickname if this appears. Type "/nick [nickname]" (without quotes, and hit your Enter key afterward). If the NickServ message appears again, choose a different name again.
8. To register your nickname, type "/nickserv register [password] [e-mail address]" (without quotes, and hit your Enter key afterward). Note that you must have had the nickname for at least a full minute before you can do this. NickServ will then e-mail the e-mail address you used with an activation code. Just copy + paste that into the mIRC window and hit your Enter Key. The nickname is now yours, at least as long as you keep up a decent amount of activity. Please, do not forget your password.
8a. On future visits when you've already registered your nickname, you will get "-NickServ- This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise, please choose a different nick. If you do not change within one minute, I will change your nick." when you sign on. When you see this, type "/nickserv identify [password]". You will then be identified as you.
9. Type "/join #Disgaea" and hit your Enter key. You're now in the channel.

Basic mIRC functions and things to note (skip this if you know your stuff):

- You can talk normally just by typing what you want and hitting your Enter key.
- You can private message a person by double-clicking their name from the right sidebar (it will open a separate window which you can talk to them with). When you have multiple windows like this open, you can toggle between them either by left clicking, or by pressing Ctrl + Tab.
- To close the channel window or a PM window, right click on it at the top and hit Close.
- Note that the names on the right sidebar are ordered by rank, and in the case of equal rank, they are ordered alphabetically.
- An OP is comparible to an admin, while a hOP is comparible to a moderator in terms of abilities.
- A kick is simply booting you out of the channel, it is not a ban (you can rejoin immediately). It's just to get your attention, basically. A ban, on the other hand, works the same as on a forum. You can be banned temporarily or permanently, by nickname, IP, or other methods.
- You can ignore someone by typing "/ignore [nickname]". You can unignore someone by typing "/ignore -r [nickname]", or clear your ignore list by typing "/ignore -r".
- You can perform an "action" by typing "/me" in front of your message. For example, if I was to type "/me throws a sheep at the invaders", the message would read "Kiruka throws a sheep at the invaders", wheras it would normally read "[Kiruka] throws a sheep at the invaders". This is not an invitation to roleplay, and should be used moderately.

---------------------------------------------

Rules of the Chat:

1. Don't flame. Some people have different ideas of what constitutes "flaming", so for reference, I mean saying insulting things about someone else in the chat. If you have a problem with one person, it should be kept to PM, anyway.
2. No spamming. This includes advertising web sites, flooding, etc. There is a bot in there set up to autokick people who flood excessively, and will ban on the 5th offense automatically.
3. Since this is a live chat rather than a forum, it WILL be less organized, and likely there will be more than one topic being discussed at any one time. Do not be an attention whore and try to get others to stop talking about what they want so that you can have the floor. PMing is there for a reason, as is the ignore command. On the other side of the coin, if others are doing all the talking, you don't need to feel bad about butting in, even about something totally unrelated, as long as someone actually responds to you. If they don't, assume that no one is interested and talk about something else.
4. The chain of command for the chat and the forum is separate. That is, I'm in charge of the chat and have nothing to do with administrating the forum, just as the forum admins are in charge of the forum and have nothing to do with administrating the chat. If you have a problem with something specific to the chat, PM me or another OP on the chat, or PM me on the forum.
5. Don't ask for OP or hOP or anything. I'll ask the people who I trust if they would like to offer their assistance. Even if you get OP or hOP, keep in mind that I can take it away whenever I want.
6. Voice will be handed out fairly regularly to people who don't act like idiots. This makes you immune to +m (which mutes everyone in the chat who is not either voiced or staff) for as long as you have Voice. It is represented by a "+" next to your name.
7. Spoilers: I'll be frank. I give not a single rat's arse about spoilers, personally. In the interest of those who do, though, there is a proper way to mark something a spoiler. Type Ctrl + k, which will give you a little symbol. After the symbol, type 1,1. After that, hit your spacebar and type whatever is a spoiler. Unmarked spoilers result in a kick. Repeat offenses will likely result in a (temporary) ban, depending generally on how much you'll be missed. If you cannot get the spoiler function to work properly, too bad so sad.
8. If you attempt to bandodge, that goes against IRCHighway's policies (let alone the channel's) and you'll be reported to an IRCop. They will ruin your day, and may very well ban you from all of IRCHighway. This includes the very awesome #desuchan, by the way.
9. No requesting or linking ROMs, CP, or anything else considered "illegal".
10. Mark things that are NSFW (not safe for work) as such by putting "NSFW:" in front of whatever it is. As long as NSFW things are marked as such (BEFORE the link, not after, thank you very much), you will not be punished for posting them. Since we'll likely have various age groups in the channel, we need to be respectful to both ends of the spectrum.
11. The rules can, and will most likely, change. You, as a user, are responsible for staying up-to-date (much like on the forum). If there is a major change, I will likely put it as part of the channel topic.
12. Since this is chat and not a forum, you will not be drilled as hard for using things like LOL or ROFL, but do try to type properly.
13. Your name on the chat does not have to match your name on the forum, but it certainly does make things less confusing.
14. Bans, like the chain of command, are separate for the forum and the chat. Getting banned from one will not automatically get you banned from the other.
15. If you get banned from the chat and you think it was unfair (especially if the bot did it), PM me and deliver your debate. I don't like being wrong, so if you have a solid case, you're probably going to be unbanned. I'll decide on the spot whether or not you're ever going to get unbanned, and tell you when/if it will happen. If it's decided that you're not getting unbanned, that's that. If you continue to pester me about that subject, I will put you on ignore and never have to deal with you again.
16. Multiple accounts a.k.a. sockpuppeting: IRCHighway allows up to 3 simultaneous connections from a single IP at a time, mainly in the interest of those who have multiple computers and multiple mIRC users in the same house. If you want to sockpuppet or if you have a roommate or sibling or leeching neighbor or whatever that wants to join in, feel free. Note that if you bandodge and I have to ban your IP from the channel, sucks to be whatever other user was sharing the IP with you.
17. Roleplaying: Two-person roleplays can be done via PM. No roleplaying is to be done in the main chan. If there is enough demand for roleplay, I may set up a separate channel for this.
18. If you're having technical issues with mIRC itself or just random questions about it, ask in the main channel if you like. If no one knows or responds, use the "Help" command in the program itself, or use Google.
19. The rules for posting on the forum do not necessarily apply to chatting in the channel, and vice versa. Be sure to not confuse them, and brush up on them as needed.
20. Bottom line: I AM BOSS (of the chat). You can talk to me about any problems you have with the way I run things, but if I don't agree with you, feel free to go to another channel or make your own.

Mao Male
Average
Demon

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote

sorry bout this double post, ps3 on screen keyboard has a word cap. Anyways...

I just thought that us members can have a chat/stream/channel to have discussions in real time about Disgaea or anything in general.

"i, nor the mods have the Free Time,to sit it in a chat room and watch what goes on."

I wasn't making u and the dtaff as being babysitters of the chat/stream/channel, i am a 20 year old male with at least 8 years of admin/mod exp. I think I'm more than capable of handling things off the forums. This was to be my job in the first place if this would have been passed.

Bottom line, I see u as being a bit unfair & yet fairish. U deny my propsal, that's fine with. Then you say we can our own thing, which what I wanted in the first place. If your not interested in joining us that's fine too. I can handle things and report any behavior problems to u, & u can do what u do here.

Sorry for making this SO long, but I wanted to get my feelings on this fully across to you.
Kiruka Other
Trainee
Demon

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Mao
Kiruka if u want to do this in your free time, since this ks my idea I'll be happy to help.

Now then Etna, allow me to speak freely in response to your post.
There's no need for arguements here, but I going state my thoughts based on your post, its your choice to get pissed off or be civil.

"Basically,I dont care how many people vote for it;It's not going to happen."
I detect a bit of unfairness here. Why can't we vote on it? If were voting we'd be tied 3-3, this would become interesting I think. U already denied this topic & your word is law, but I think this could've been handled a bit more fair.

"If you want to make a seperate chat or irc channel yourself for the Disgaea members to go,that is Fine by me"

So, your saying us members can have our own vhatroom & whatnot, but then u say denied? Do u mean that u don't want this to the forums offiical chat? That was never my intentions of this suggestion.

Sorry if I sound smarmy or like I'm mini-modding, but arguing with an admin is a bad idea. It may be unfair, but it's reality. An online community is generally run as a dictatorship, because that's what works. If someone doesn't like it, they leave. You don't exactly have to deal with angry pitchfork-wielding peasants over the internet unless you play WarCraft.

I think what Etna meant (correct me if I'm wrong) is "A chat room would be fine, but neither Laharl nor myself have the time or interest to help with maintaining it." Which, if true, is understandable. The main reason I decided to make this chat is that not only do I have the time and the interest, but I love this community and want to help out in my own way. Our admins already do plenty for this place.

Mao Male
Average
Demon

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote

I know what u mean. Being an admin/owner of a foroum or isn't exactly easy. I stated some of what u just said in the second half of my post. I even said "There's no need for arguements here" I simply stated that I'm not making an arguement, but am speaking my mind.

I'll PM u later about this matter. Maybe we can work together on this chat thing sine I started this idea & u made the IRC. First I need sleep.
Etna Female
Galaxy Beauty Pirate
Demon

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Mao

That's unfair to you? This topic has been open for a while,and only you and Kiruka are the only ones who even cared or had any interest to begin with.And Taro doesnt count,he just likes to do random posts.I mean,do you see him reposting in this topic? I don't. So really the vote IS 2-3.You seem to have miscounted on that.Either way,even if it was a tie or not,the result would have been the same.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mao
So, your saying us members can have our own chatroom & whatnot, but then u say denied? Do u mean that u don't want this to the forums offiical chat? That was never my intentions of this suggestion.

Kiruka pretty much said my response already:

"I think what Etna meant (correct me if I'm wrong) is "A chat room would be fine, but neither Laharl nor myself have the time or interest to help with maintaining it." Which, if true, is understandable. The main reason I decided to make this chat is that not only do I have the time and the interest, but I love this community and want to help out in my own way. Our admins already do plenty for this place."

To be honest,your first post for this topic,Mao,makes it come off as,I should be the one to make the chatroom for the community.You dont really elaborate at the start,that You wanted to do it,it may not Sound that way towards you,but thats how it comes off towards me.

Unlike Kiruka,who said it pretty well and clearly,volunteered to get started with the chatroom and stuff.And I thank Kiruka for getting a head start on that.

Mao Male
Average
Demon

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote

Kiruka and I will work on this. Consider this our job if u like.
Cranilla Female
Average
Demon

Mood: Indifferent

Level: 20
Activity: 7 / 480
Participation: 159 / 11932
Experience: 21%

[*] posted on 8-12-2009 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote

To download the software, do you run it or save it to your computer?

My wings will sprout, then they will grow, and then after a while, they'll shatter. For the time I have been given, this is what I am.
http://zombie.arc-night.net/pictures/zj_685.png

http://www.squiby.net/view/3005357.png http://www.squiby.net/view/3005579.png http://www.squiby.net/view/3005585.png http://www.squiby.net/view/3005588.png http://www.squiby.net/view/3005660.png http://www.squiby.net/view/3005671.png

Kawaii, aren't they?^^
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger Cranilla's Yahoo
Mao Male
Average
Demon

[*] posted on 8-12-2009 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Cranilla

I think its something u instal then run it like as if u were runnin GIMP
Kiruka Other
Trainee
Demon

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 01:19 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Cranilla

Knew I left something out. Either way works, although "save" is generally preferred in case you have to restart the install process for whatever reason.

SuperAidow Male
Trainee

Mood: Queer

Activity: 0 / 176
Participation: 27 / 4175
Experience: 6%

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 04:37 AM Reply With Quote

I lawled. =P
I'll join your little chat, some time soon. It'll be a great way to bond with forum members. =P

Also, I know it's too late but if we're gonna Disgaea it, the Dark Assembly votes look at Levels. Randomly throwing it out there. =P

Anyways, seeing as everything's been set, yeah, I'll take part in this. =P

Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top