Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home3/natsuki7/public_html/disgaea/header.php on line 208

Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home3/natsuki7/public_html/disgaea/header.php on line 221
Disgaea Forums - Powered by XMB Disgaea Forums
Go To Bottom
Last active: Never

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
 Pages:  1  2  3  4
Author: Subject: Phantom Brave weak sauce?
Laharl Male
Opinionated Overlord
Demon

Mood: Lost to Apathy

Level: 42
Activity: 66 / 1045
Participation: 985 / 38738
Experience: 81%

[*] posted on 27-7-2006 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote

points taken, i suppose i reason i don't like it is i played disgaea for like 100 hours before i got this, and to me anyway there's no comparison, i was expecting more disgaeaness and got a failed experiment. Another reason why i dont like this is the character classes are poor, very few are actually worth using, PB also manages to disgrace the class of samurai.

Last.fm
MyAnimeList
PSN ID: Cynical_Durian
Twitter: @Cynical_Durian
ArskaTheMan
Ichiban Fighter

Mood: Alive!

Level: 28
Activity: 16 / 689
Participation: 350 / 24369
Experience: 59%

[*] posted on 27-7-2006 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote

I didn't use any human chars, only monsters and Owls. (those guys rule!)
All human classes just seemed to be very weak and slow on movement & jumping.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Marionette
The Comedy of Errors

Mood: Delicious Almaz

Level: 26
Activity: 13 / 631
Participation: 286 / 20815
Experience: 26%

[*] posted on 27-7-2006 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Laharl the slayer
points taken, i suppose i reason i don't like it is i played disgaea for like 100 hours before i got this, and to me anyway there's no comparison, i was expecting more disgaeaness and got a failed experiment. Another reason why i dont like this is the character classes are poor, very few are actually worth using, PB also manages to disgrace the class of samurai.

Disgrace the class of Samurai? How?

As for your major argument, don't play a game expecting another Disgaea. That was your fatal error, play a game and expect something new and different from the game before expecting it to be another Clone. That's my advice to you.

Groove Zombie Male
Resident Bastard
Monster

Level: 32
Activity: 25 / 786
Participation: 477 / 27894
Experience: 44%

[*] posted on 27-7-2006 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote

But... like... there were no samurai in PB. So how can it disgrace them if they're not even IN there?

This post may not reflect the views of Akai Tsuki Ltd. Zombie's sarcasm is not the fault of the management. Take sarcasm in small doses. If you ingest too much sarcasm, or experience a sarcasm for seven or more hours, consult your physician. Sarcasm may contain peanuts, some people experience allergic reactions to sarcasm. For customer service, please call 1-900-UCRAMIT. Please enjoy your sarcasm responsibly.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member Groove+Zombie's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
prier
Nightmare Overlord

Mood: -beep-

Level: 18
Activity: 3 / 440
Participation: 133 / 15520
Experience: 61%

[*] posted on 28-7-2006 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote

That's probably what Laharl meant that there wasn't a samurai class in the game.. is it? If not.. I don't know what he meant.

[Sig removed due to being over the signature limit:

Laharl Male
Opinionated Overlord
Demon

Mood: Lost to Apathy

Level: 42
Activity: 66 / 1045
Participation: 985 / 38738
Experience: 81%

[*] posted on 28-7-2006 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote

what Prier said. The Samurai is the staple of ridicolous attack power, La Pucelle can be forgiven as it had practically no human classes

Last.fm
MyAnimeList
PSN ID: Cynical_Durian
Twitter: @Cynical_Durian
Marionette
The Comedy of Errors

[*] posted on 28-7-2006 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Laharl the slayer
what Prier said. The Samurai is the staple of ridicolous attack power, La Pucelle can be forgiven as it had practically no human classes

Maybe they didn't want you to have a class with rediculous power? XD;;

ArskaTheMan
Ichiban Fighter

[*] posted on 28-7-2006 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote

Many moster type classes had ubet stats in power and everything else.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Groove Zombie Male
Resident Bastard
Monster

[*] posted on 29-7-2006 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote

And my dragon Bruslav still got the chain yanked back when he was only out for 3 turns. LAME. Not balance. Just LAMITY. D:

Arska's right, though. The monsters, at least some of them, had some pretty wicked stats. I imagine that's why the dragon got a WHOPPING three turns, as I mentioned.

Oh, and it's still LAME. >:|

This post may not reflect the views of Akai Tsuki Ltd. Zombie's sarcasm is not the fault of the management. Take sarcasm in small doses. If you ingest too much sarcasm, or experience a sarcasm for seven or more hours, consult your physician. Sarcasm may contain peanuts, some people experience allergic reactions to sarcasm. For customer service, please call 1-900-UCRAMIT. Please enjoy your sarcasm responsibly.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member Groove+Zombie's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger
Marionette
The Comedy of Errors

[*] posted on 29-7-2006 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote

...I never used monsters, so I guess that's why I never realized it. XD;

Groove Zombie Male
Resident Bastard
Monster

[*] posted on 29-7-2006 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote

I didn't use them very much either, mostly just the one dragon and... wait for it... yeah that's right, zombies. My female zombie got to doing some pretty crazy damage with a pretty average weapon, as far as my personal armory was concerned. OH. And my favorite character EVER... a slime named Blarg. He was like... Lord King of the Slime. Bastard was a muck-ninja, I'm tellin' you, killed everything without issue. Plus, he was equipped with a weed/grass/bush or whatever, so his speed was nutty.

Ahh... I miss my ninja slime.

ArskaTheMan
Ichiban Fighter

[*] posted on 29-7-2006 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote

You werent using werewolfs? Best class in the game in my opinion!

prier
Nightmare Overlord

Mood: -beep-

Level: 18
Activity: 3 / 440
Participation: 133 / 15520
Experience: 61%

[*] posted on 31-7-2006 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote

They could've been especially with their quick attack but the movement glitch is worse when I use them so I'd rather stick with owls.

[Sig removed due to being over the signature limit:

Akutare
Retired, twas fun.
Monster

Level: 31
Activity: 21 / 753
Participation: 431 / 28157
Experience: 13%

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote

Werewolves weren't bad in the game. I kept two.. a male one and one that had a female name. I kept one Manticore, but Manticore's look rather silly holding a weapon in their mouth.

Alot of people I know dislike using Monsters in NIS games.

ArskaTheMan
Ichiban Fighter

[*] posted on 4-8-2006 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Akutare
Werewolves weren't bad in the game. I kept two.. a male one and one that had a female name. I kept one Manticore, but Manticore's look rather silly holding a weapon in their mouth.

Alot of people I know dislike using Monsters in NIS games.

I luv monster classes, they were very weak on Dis1 though, so maybe that explains it.

Akutare
Retired, twas fun.
Monster

Level: 31
Activity: 21 / 753
Participation: 431 / 28157
Experience: 13%

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 03:29 AM Reply With Quote

I heard they were improoved in Disagea 2. I could be wrong.

David Male
They took our jobs
Demon

Mood: Determined.

Level: 38
Activity: 50 / 935
Participation: 736 / 30411
Experience: 40%

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote

Hmm, well I'm going to have to agree with the battle system in PB being pretty bad. However I believe that this was their desire to make something more serious than Disgaea. They wanted to make a touching story with a happy ending. I don't think they were in the wrong with all that, it's not all about evil overlords and conquest. And I don't think they were really that forgetable as characters eaither. I thought Ash was pretty cool, even though he's got some bad luck. And Marona's story was a bit sad at first but gradually got better because of her selflessness and all the people who witnessed it or gave her a chance. It could be a message to all the young kids in school now who get bullied and picked on not to give up. And try to keep themselves from becomming bitter, in that case it sends a positive message. Cause I know from my sister always comming home being depressed about how people treat her in school its a common problem. People fucked with me pretty badly in school too and I let it get to me alittle too much which resulted in me being a complete social outcast. I've got a couple friends in town and thats it, so generally I'm a pretty closed book. Then theres you people I yack with on the internet, but a lot of people wouldn't count that as social interaction. But I do.

I think the confine system was annoying but it DID force me to be more tactical. However the cheap tricks in the games like making failure dungeons and super weapons far superior to your characters made it way too cheap and took that extra thought out of it once I discovered it.

As for your Dragon Groove, build up some mana and consume a soldier. God knows they are useless otherwise.... lol And when fusing weapons make sure the weapon you want to be stronger is a failure at the time. When you switch over to the good title it gets extreame bonus.

All that said, Phantom Brave had horrible sales. And thats why we will never see a Phantom Brave 2. So yes, there is a money making aspect of this. And Phantom Brave bombed. I just hope that this doesn't prevent them from making another drama all together. Dark Comedy's are nice, but it can get boring if you get too many of them without a break, and it would be horrible for the Dark Comedy games to become stale and used.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o241/Overlord_David/Davidsig.gif
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o241/Overlord_David/David004.gif Overlord David - Cutting demons since 2004...
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member David's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger David's Yahoo
Marionette
The Comedy of Errors

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote

Where's the evidence that Phantom Brave bombed?

David Male
They took our jobs
Demon

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote

It bombed on the money front. And a joke was even made of that, in Makai Kingdom when Zetta met Asagi. Zetta: "Bleh!... If people wanted drama, they would have bought Phantom Brave!"

I'm sure theres numbers to prove it somewhere on the internet, but I'm not hard pressed to find them. Personally I thought Phantom Brave was okay, and it was a lot better than Raphsody. Which also bombed.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o241/Overlord_David/David004.gif Overlord David - Cutting demons since 2004...
View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member David's Aim This User Has MSN Messenger David's Yahoo
Marionette
The Comedy of Errors

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote

Okay, let me reiterate. Where is evidence that Phantom Brave bombed?

The joke in Makai Kingdom is about how dramatic Asagi is. Makai Kingdom is supposedly more a comedic game (though I thought it was rather dramatic on it's own.) and that's why the joke was made.

American sales do not necessarily count towards whether the game is successful or not. Phantom Brave sold rather well in Japan. It is an initiative, but most people know of Phantom Brave and it had a wide release, the price isn't excrutiatingly high because Atlus didn't publish it and limited it's sales.

So, lets talk numbers.

With the end of the fiscal year 2003/2004 approaching, companies are readying their major titles for a release until March 31st. Yesterday the first two highly anticipated RPGs of the season hit Japanese retail store shelves. The two versions of Nippon Ichi Software's newest PlayStation 2 offering Phantom Brave sold a combined 68,087 copies. The limited edition boasted a sell-through rate of 71.1%, whereas 62.6% of the standard version's shipment found its ways into the game collections of Japanese fans. In the meantime, Square Enix's Star Ocean: Till the End of Time Director's Cut sold 57,578 copies on a sell-through rate of 68.7%.

It outsold Star Ocean 3's Director's Cut, I don't that's shabby on it's own.

(February 2003) - Makaisenki - Disgaea sold 15,588 copies this week, thereby reaching spot 14 and bringing its total to 85,881 copies.

Phantom Kingdom (standard and limited edition), Nippon Ichi Software, PlayStation 2, 65,724

I don't think that's bad at all. Source is Dengeki ONLINE and RPGfan, btw. These dates are a month after the games were released. You can't necessarily say "Phantom Brave bombed" because you don't think it did well. Sorry, I don't think people give this game much credit at all and it bugs me a little.

Etna Female
Galaxy Beauty Pirate
Demon

Mood: Win or Lose! Stand up for your beliefs.

Level: 53
Activity: 148 / 1311
Participation: 1845 / 51304

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote

I agree with Mari,I mean they did remake PB with that new game+ added to it.

That was one hint that I could remember it being it sold well,lets not forget it also received Playstation Best award from what I remember.Or rather,that sticker/label has been on there.

http://devil-heart.net/bs-s/bss-3.jpg

"Tell me,who's the baddest of the bad?
The maddest of the mad? The killer of kings and destroyer of worlds?"http://etna.akai-tsuki.net/001flg.gifThank you Revel <3

http://etna.akai-tsuki.net/enmygi0901.png http://etna.akai-tsuki.net/ven-1.png
Marionette
The Comedy of Errors

[*] posted on 8-4-2007 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote

Yeah, it reached "THE BEST!!" Status in Japan, which translates to "Greatest Hits" in American shores.

It sold well, the fandom for Disgaea is just much more vocal/popular/it'sthesamefrickin'fans!

David Male
They took our jobs
Demon

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote

Well Mari, it's status in "Japan" means diddly to me. Because I play AMERICAN releases of the games. Get my point? I don't know japanese, and never will. So how well it does there doesn't mean a thing to me. o_O I'm only concerned with the North American release, it's a lot harder to sell SRPG's over here than it is in Japan. So it takes a real gem to shine.

If your saying it's status in North America is in the high sales as Disgaea than I'll revoke my statment about it bombing. As for what sells in Japan, I don't really care. SRPG's are popular there and far easyer to sell. I'm only concerned with the versions which I will lay eyes on.

And as I said, don't get me wrong I like the game. I'm not dissing it. But I'm pretty sure it didn't do too well on this release.

Groove Zombie Male
Resident Bastard
Monster

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote

It was hard for us to move copies of PB off the shelves when it released, yet Disgaea was anything but a hard sell. In fact, I couldn't ever find the damn thing when it was released. Yet, every time I went into the game shop here, the same two or three copies of PB sat there on the shelf for months and months, and one is STILL sitting there, wrapped up, never bought. I have to say, that it is obvious the game was not popular in the States, at all, ever. It didn't even develop a cult-following like Disgaea did, and a lot of the N1 fans I talk to regularly HATED PB. It was a fun little game, yes, but I too can't stand it much anymore. David IS right about a few things, namely that the Japanese market loves these sorts of games. We do not.

Here's one way to think of it. If SRPGs don't do better in the States, we won't get anymore of them. Period. And that would be a damn shame. How well it does out there in the far east doesn't help the games get here, because everyone in the industry knows the Japanese like almost completely different games than Americans and Europeans, with a few very specific exceptions. That's why there are so many games that never get brought over here.

David Male
They took our jobs
Demon

[*] posted on 9-4-2007 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote

I would be so sad, because SRPGs are amoung my absolute faves.

I actually started a fresh Phantom Brave. But I can't bring myself to play the game fairly again. I'd eaither cheap the crap out of the game and use the failure dungeons non stop or I'd use codes. This time I used codes. Well actually CODE. I put in the code to give your Phantom's perminant confine. So now it has a more disgaea/ Makai Kingdom feel to it. Which feels better and puts Marona in less danger. Besides, I like Ash and want him to stick around in the fights. This time I plan on doing as little weapon beefing and failure dungeoning as possible.

Pages:  1  2  3  4
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top